Dear RiverGrace Family,
We are making progress with our official registration of our church. As I mentioned before, we will be known as RiverGrace International Hong Kong Evangelical Church, or RiverGrace International HKEC, for short.
In terms of the date we will become official, we have designated October 1 as being that date. That means that in October, 2018, we will have our first anniversary. I am not quite sure what to do with our unofficial anniversary which we've been celebrating the first Sunday in May. (Actually we started Easter Sunday in 2011as that is when we started having weekly services. We just celebrated it to May so as to not always conflict with the Easter celebrations.) Maybe we'll celebrate two anniversaries a year!
We also need to name the first generation of deacons for RiverGrace, and also who will be the bank signatories.
The first group of the deacons will be chosen by the pastors. There will be five deacons, not counting the pastoral staff. They will serve for a three-year period, and after that the deacons will be chosen by the voting of the official members of RiverGrace.
As for the bank signatories, besides the pastoral staff, there will be two deacons designated to fulfill that requirement.
The other thing that we need to do soon is to make sure who is willing to become officially registered members of RiverGrace. As I've tried to explain before, there will be three categories of members.
1. Those who have been baptized in Yan Yue (RiverGrace) since we started. They will be automatically transferred to RiverGrace without any formalities.
2. Those people from Hong Kong who have an official membership in another church in Hong Kong. They are willing to transfer their membership to RiverGrace. HKEC does not permit dual membership in this case. For those willing to change membership, this transfer will be done on October 15 at HKEC's united baptism service. (By the way, if you want to be baptized you must let one of the pastors know soon. I will be the one to baptize that day though some will be from other churches. If you decide to be baptized that day, you will automatically become members of RiverGrace.)
3. Those from outside of Hong Kong who are members in a church in your home country, but want to maintain your membership in that church. In this process, RiverGrace will apply to HKEC for you to be a member, but you will need to present the reason why you want to, maintain you membership in your home church.
Within the next month we will need to know the intention of all the RG people regarding membership.
This coming Sunday I will be preaching on Nehemiah chapter 7. Though there are lots of names in this chapter, as there were in chapter 3, it may seem like there is not much to talk about. However there are still some goodies we can learn about. One is about what kind of leaders Nehemiah looked for, as he chose people to serve the citizens. Another theme in this passage is that although the walls were built, there was still a need for vigilance because the enemies had not left. They were still sending threats. These are a couple of the issues will look at this Sunday
Rita will lead the worship songs and we will have our lunch together after the service.
Lineup for this coming Sunday, August 20
- 10:00am - Worship team practice - Rita
- 11:15 - Pre-service Prayer Meeting
- 12:00pm - Worship service - P. Dave on Nehemiah 7
- 1:45pm - Lunch
- 2:45 - Connect Groups
Activities next week...
- Wednesday, August 23
11:00am - Wednesday AM Connect Groups
7:00pm - Wednesday PM Connect Group / Spanish Fellowship
- Sunday August 27
12:00pm - Worship service, P. Cindy on Ephesians
Come join us at noon on Sunday. We'd be delighted to see you.
Love and blessings,
P.S. Sorry for the length of this post, but I do want to keep you up to date with what is happening during this important time so you can pray, and know how the decisions will affect the you and the church.